How To Stream Torrents Fast on Baidu Yun
Getting used to life without Facebook or Youtube was easy. However I really missed having a cloud storage service like Dropbox or Google Drive. All I wanted was somewhere convenient to store my photos and important documents, in case something happened to my ancient Mac.
For this reason, I decided to start using the Chinese version of cloud storage, 百度云 (Baidu ‘Yun’ meaning ‘cloud’). What led me to eventually fall in love with Yun Baidu was not its storage capacity, but its uncanny ability to stream uninterrupted video content, quickly, and without a VPN. Here’s the deal…
Part 1 Registration
- Go to yun.baidu.com and click register
TIP: Since the site is available only in Chinese, I recommend using Chrome and downloading the "Zhongwen: A Chinese-English Popup Dictionary" Chrome extension. It makes filling out the forms so much easier.
2. Enter in the username, email or a mobile number that you will use to login, and complete the security check.
3. Clicking on this link will open another page, which requires you to enter in your details.
4. Enter in your name, email and mobile number. Once you’ve entered in your number, click on the button circled in red. This will send a 6-digit password that you need to enter into the final box.
5. After this, you will receive an activation email, so go to your inbox and click on the link. Select your location and type your password.
6. Once you’ve completed the process, there will be a 24-48 hour approval period, so you need to wait for them to get back to you. A little frustrating, but trust me it’s worth it.
7. Once you’re deemed not a robot, they will send you another link to log in with your username/email/number. Remember to use the same details you gave in step 2.
8. Congratulations! You’re officially registered on Baidu Yun. You can upload files individually, but I personally I recommend downloading the app so that it backs up everything automatically. All versions are available for downloading in the sidebar.
Part 2 Fast, Uninterrupted Streaming
NOTE: when dealing with larger video files, you will be required to download and use an app called 云管家
1. Copy the URL of any torrent (Not a magnet link, just the plain old torrent URL)
2. Click the buttons shown below
3. Paste the link here
4. IMPORTANT: Make sure your VPN is switched off before you confirm here.
5. You're welcome